Digital Marketing Day is celebrated every year on 16th December. India celebrated its 1st ever digital marketing day on 16th December 2018 with more than 15 cities participating in the celebration of Digital Marketing Day. Digital marketers from different cities Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Patna, Cochin, Dehradun and more hosted Digital Marketing Meetups to celebrate the occasion.
How as a Digital Marketing Community you can celebrate this day?
- Host a meetup
- Create an exclusive #DigitalMarketingDay post on 16th December 2018 and post it across Social Media Channel.
- Blog about Digital Marketing and its future, benefits of digital marketing, career in digital marketing, why digital marketing, scope of digital marketing etc.
- If you are an agency owner, send Digital Marketing Day wishes to all your clients so that they understand its significance.
- You can cut cake / host a party at your workplace.
History of Digital Marketing: The Evolution that started in the 1980s
1981- First personal computer was launched by IBM.
1986- American National Standard Institute (ANSI) implemented SQL as a standard
1989- Data Storage of the computers was 100mb
This was the time when companies realized that just pushing products to customers was not good enough and it’s important to maintain customer relationship if they need to sustain in the business. And this was the time when companies started practicing, maintaining a database of customer and business contracts.
2000 – In mid-2000s, companies saw a change in the buying behavior of customer. People began exploring about the product online using google and similar search engines. This was the tough time for companies understanding the buying behavior of the customers.
Marketo, Act and Pardot were then the companies who came up with marketing automation that allowed marketers to segment the market, start multi-channel campaigns and deliver personalized content. This was the first marketing technology devised by marketers for marketers. But it also faced challenge as it didn’t foresee the massive adoption of social media as a marketing channel.
Social Media channels – Dates to remember
- LinkedIn in May 2003
- Orkut in January 2004
- Facebook in February 2004
- Twitter in July 2006
- Tumblr in February 2007
- Google+ in July 2011
Digital Marketing Day 2019
Lets look at the Digital Advertising Statistics for the Year 2019
As a part of the DAN-e4m-Digital Report 2019, Bhasin shared that 2019 has a lot in store for digital with General Elections, Indian Premier League, and the ICC World Cup. Below are a few highlights of the report.
- As of 2018, the Indian advertising market stands at Rs. 61,878 crore ($8.76 billion) and is estimated to grow with a CAGR of 10.62% till 2021 to reach a market size of Rs. 85,250 crores ($12.06 billion).
- The digital advertising market size is around Rs. 10,819 crore ($1.3 billion) and the estimated CAGR growth will be 31.96% and the market will expand to Rs. 24,920 crore ($3.52 billion).
- Television and print take the largest share of media spends at 70% aggregated followed by digital media at 17%. Digital will contribute 29% of the ad market size by 2021.
- Currently, BFSI is the biggest spender on digital media with a contribution of 38% of all their marketing budgets. This is followed by consumer durables (36%), e-commerce (34%) and telecom (31%). FMCG spends heavily on the television (63%) and the retail sector spends largely on print (54%) medium of advertising.
- The advertising expenditure on the digital advertising formats is led by social media (29%) followed by search (25%), display (21%) and video (20%).
- The main drivers of the growth of digital media will be voice, vernacular and video. Apart from this, some of the other drivers of digital media growth will be engaging mobile experiences based on augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR).
Media Consumption & Behaviour in India 2019
Now consumers are no longer tech savvy but have become tech-dependent.
Digital Marketers Community Members have worked hard to connect the business house with consumers and meet the requirement of both sides. We have evolved, innovated and take pride in contributing to many business house successes. And this day is a recognition of our efforts to build powerful brands. #DMDAY #DigitalMarketingDay